Thursday, October 24, 2002


Don’t tell me the Rabbi drives a Jaguar...........

There is some controversy about Chevrolet backing a tour of evangelical Christian musicians. I don’t find it quite as alarming as some do.

"This may be a sign of the times, but it's not a good sign," said Rabbi James Rudin, spokesman for the American Jewish Committee in New York. "America is increasingly multiethnic and multireligious. So, for an American icon like Chevrolet to link itself to one religion, Christianity, and then one specific group within Christianity is divisive.

"The majority of Americans are not evangelical Christians and it would be very, very bad business for Chevrolet to put the idea into people's minds that they're the evangelical brand."


Corporations will do what is expedient for their business. And people can still make judgements apart from the ‘vibe’ given off by the advertising. I’m thinking specifically about Tantrist Sting and his Jaguar promotion. That wouldn’t stop me from driving a Jaguar (if one magically appeared in my driveway.) Altho........I am rather repelled by the car ads (and I can’t even remember what car it is!) that have James Brown squealing about being a Sex Machine. That’s the limit





No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter