Wednesday, September 11, 2002

Thought for the day.....
I had thought it best to take a blog-break for the day. I attempted to strike a balance between prayer and proper education.........not always easy. I had planned on attending tonight’s special Mass of Rembrance at my parish, preceding the regular monthy Holy Hour. With Dad out of town, I decided discretion would be the better part of valor and opt not to attend, since the evening hours tend to be the twitchiest, especially for a hyper-active 8 year old. As much as I would like to be at Church, I wouldn’t want ‘Rod’ and ‘Todd’ to turn the Mass into a time of special penance for those sitting around us. (Oh, if I could only get Rev. Lovejoy on the speed-dial to discuss this..........)

I do wish to add one thought. The ChicagoTribune published a special commemorative section for today. In general, it was well done. But I was taken aback to see that they had given half a page to the musings of Garry Wills. And, of course, made a mental bet with myself that he could not get to the end without working in his ill feelings about the Catholic Church. What an opportunist! It took him til the third to last paragraph to do it, but he did. As the spaghetti boiled - past al dente, I’m afraid - I fired off a letter to the Trib, as follows.........


Does Garry Wills not have an editor, advisor, friend - anyone - to tell him that September 11 might be a good day to rest the ax that he must perpetually grind with the Roman Catholic Church? A special commemorative Tribune section dedicated to the memory of the horror and heroism of last September is just not an appropriate forum to insert his negative feelings about the Church. And to say, “Roman Catholic bishops, once revered, are now feared for the way they unleashed pervert priests on minors,” is bombastic journalism worthy of a tacky tabloid. This one statement minimizes the true pain of certain particular circumstances while attempting to smear the Roman Catholic Church and her many good and loyal Bishops. Would Mr. Wills, or any other writer, be allowed to paint negative pictures of any other groups with such broad, sloppy strokes?

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter